From: Chee Ong Loh <onnyloh@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange /init kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r5 boot problems
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:02:54
1 solution are simple.
2 there is a new version of genkernel in portage.
3
4 try:
5 emerge --sync and emerge genkernel
6 and finally rebuild the entire kernel and that should solve.
7 At least I've solve mine.
8
9 good luckzzzzzz
10
11 On 7/15/05, Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com> wrote:
12 > Iain Buchanan wrote:
13 > > On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 08:36 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:
14 > >
15 > >>Iain Buchanan wrote:
16 > >>
17 > >>
18 > >>>-install: applet not found
19 > >>>/init: 41: In: not found
20 > >>>/init: 45: cat: not found
21 > >>>/init: 150: sed: not found
22 > >>>
23 > >>
24 > >>Apparently it is a problem with busybox configuration:
25 > >>
26 > >>>From another thread on this list less than 12 hours old:
27 > >>
28 > >>Zac Medico wrote:
29 > >>
30 > >>
31 > >>>It's not as bad as it looks. I had the same problem. You simply
32 > >>
33 > >>need to enable CONFIG_FEATURE_INSTALLER in the busybox config. Then
34 > >>you can do "busybox --install" and it automatically creates hardlinks
35 > >>for all the enabled applets.
38 > > What busybox config? `equery files busybox` doesn't show any config
39 > > files for busybox. I found the previous thread here
40 > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-user&m=112127857419654&w=2 and
41 > > Zac suggested some different options:
44 > >>root (hd0,0)
45 > >>kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n
46 > >>root=/dev/hda11 video=vesafb:1024x768-32@72
47 > >>splash=verbose gentoo=nodevfs udev devfs=nomount
48 > >>initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n
51 > > but that didn't help either.
52 >
53 > So it still uses the initramfs even though you didn't specify root=/dev/ram0? Richard said something about that (I wasn't aware of this behavior). Apparently you need to remove the initrd parameter in order to disable it.
54 >
55 > Genkernel builds busybox with the config file in /usr/share/genkernel/$arch/busy-config. Of course, it will only build busybox if it doesn't find a suitable binary in your bincache (specified in /etc/genkernel.conf).
58 > > And why do I need to do a `busybox --install` ?? shouldn't this come up
59 > > in some emerge warning or be done by genkernel or something? I monitor
60 > > all the output from emerge with enotice, but I didn't see anything about
61 > > busybox...
62 > >
63 > > TIA,
64 >
65 > You don't do busybox --install, that happens automatically in the init script. It seems that the genkernel devs may have overlooked this minor detail. It's easy to forget about it after you have a working busybox in your bincache.
66 >
67 > Zac
68 >
69 > --