From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Distfiles cache setup
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:08:03
1 On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 17:48:15 -0700 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 09/18/2015 01:15 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > How tight is space? eclean-dist only removes distfiles for packages that
4 > > are no longer in the tree. So you can run it on one system and keep
5 > > $DISTDIR reasonably trimmed. If you use the --package-names option, it
6 > > will do as you suggest and only keep files needed by the machine running
7 > > the command.
10 > Thanks for the replies.
11 >
12 > I regularly run eclean-dist on the mythtv frontends as I still have 32GB
13 > SSDs on a couple of them. These are pretty lean as all file shares &
14 > mythtv recordings are on the server that is running 24/7.
15 >
16 > I figured eclean-dist would wipe out everything that wasn't needed by
17 > the machine it was run on, but if all it does is clean stuff that isn't
18 > in the tree any longer that would work too.
19
20 This is controllable:
21 - eclean-dist cleans what is in the tree no longer and not
22 installed in the system;
23 - eclean-dist -d cleans everything not installed in the system.
24
25 One can also restrict cleaning by file date (e.g. don't touch files
26 newer than) or by file size; fetch-protected files may be spared
27 as well. See
28 eclean-dist --help
29 for more details.
30
31 > The server I'd be running it on has ample space. Which is why I was
32 > debating over the http-replicator (thanks for the suggestion Peter!) and
33 > just exporting the damn distfiles directory.
34 >
35 > I think I'm going to try exporting it first and see if it does what I
36 > want first, if it works I'll leave it. :-)
37
38 We have a cluster of identical machines. Exporting over NFS works
39 just fine, though we exported not only /usr/portage,
40 but /usr/local/portage, /var/lib/layman and /var/cache/edb/dep as
41 well (we use sqlite backed for portage).
42
43 Best regards,
44 Andrew Savchenko