From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 15:15:59
1 On 2016-11-08, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On November 8, 2016 3:31:37 AM GMT+01:00, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>I'd like to have a real ip for a change... been doing the fake home
5 >>lan thing for years and always there are problems with sendmail or
6 >>other mail apps. Either masquerading or some other work around.
7 >>
8 >>Can anyone tell me if the freedns place will supply me with an ip that
9 >>will work for sendmail? Will stand up across the internet when other
10 >>internet hosts do reverse dns on my address for mail purposes.
11 >>
12 >>They advertise static addresses too, is there any draw back to that?
13 >
14 > What you need is a 'static IP'. Only your Internet Provider (ISP)
15 > can provide that.
16
17 You need a static IP address _and_ a domain name, _and_ a DNS server
18 with an MX record that points to that static IP address. The static
19 IP address comes from your ISP. Once you've got that, you can
20 register the domain name with any registrar, and set up the DNS server
21 with any DNS provider. If you've got a real, full-service ISP (do
22 they exist any more?), they can probably handle all of it for you.
23
24 > Alternative is to use a company that provides SMTP proxy for
25 > outgoing emails or set up a mail server on a virtual server with a
26 > hosting company. Unless you know what you are doing and can keep it
27 > fully updated. Please don't run your own like this.
28
29 Especially if you plan on running for president someday...
32 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Oh my GOD -- the
33 at SUN just fell into YANKEE
34 gmail.com STADIUM!!