From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:12:20
1 On 17/06/10 11:02, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > walt writes:
5 >> On 06/16/2010 04:05 PM, Jake Moe wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I've just completed a fresh Gentoo installation on a new laptop, and
8 >>>
9 >>> strangely, after I choose the entry from the Grub screen, all I get
10 >>> is:
11 >>> Booting `Gentoo Linux 2.6.32-r7`
12 >>>
13 >>> root (hd0,1)
14 >>>
15 >>> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
16 >>>
17 >>> kernel /kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda4
18 >>>
19 >>> [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x1ab020]
20 >>>
21 >> The only thing that looks a bit unusual is that your kernel-2.6.xxx
22 >> appears to be in the root directory instead of in /boot where it
23 >> usually lives.
24 >>
25 > No, that's okay, I have it the same way. The root (hd0,1) statement tells
26 > grub where the boot partition is, and all other paths are relative to
27 > that.
28 >
29 > Wonko
32 Yeah, the original e-mail I mentioned that the second partition was an
33 EXT2 partition for /boot, and yes, as per the install instructions. I
34 never liked the way the Gentoo install put a symlink in /boot, pointing
35 to /boot, in case you didn't do it that way, so the Grub menu would
36 still work as it's provided (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-xxx-etc., so I take the
37 /boot out of the Grub menu.lst file,and delete the symlink. OCD on my
38 part, I imagine, but it works fine on my other Gentoo installs.
39
40 My first thought is that it's something in the kernel config I'm doing
41 wrong, but I can't see anything that looks obviously wrong, and the lack
42 of error message doesn't help things.