From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] synaptic touchpad stopped scrolling!
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:31:10
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto schrieb:
2 >> My only input devices are a PS2 keyboard with standard Brazilian
3 >> layout (with no foolish extra "multimedia" keys) and a PS2 mouse with
4 >> two buttons and one scroll wheel that also works as a third button. Do
5 >> I need/want evdev?
6 >
7 > I should put this in a more specific manner: would it be safe/wise to
8 > remove evdev from INPUT_DEVICES (which currently includes evdev,
9 > keyboard and mouse) ?
10 >
11 > The relevant sections of xorg.conf are
12 >
13 [...]
14
15 I'm not really an X11-guru but I'm pretty sure you don't need evdev. As
16 far as I understand it, the big advantage of evdev is that it's generic.
17 As a user, you don't have to worry about which driver you need because
18 evdev fits them all. As a developer, you only need to maintain one module.
19 You also don't need to configure it in your xorg.conf because evdev
20 grabs them all from udev (hald?).
21
22 With a 'conservative' system like yours (no special hardware, no daily
23 plug'n'play, ...) you don't need it as long as evdev does not surpass
24 the other drivers in other regions like configurability, performance,
25 whatever.
26
27 Hell, even I don't need it and I rely on synaptics, three different
28 USB-mice (two of them with additional buttons) and multimedia buttons on
29 two different laptop or laptop-like keyboards (USB and PS2). All of it
30 with daily suspend-to-disk, suspend-to-ram, plug'n'play and usage of a
31 docking station.