From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to get Emacs key bindings in Firefox?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:23:22
1 On 2017-02-19, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I _used_ to have emacs key-bindings in Firefox, but for some reason
4 > that stopped working and now I have Windows key bindings. It _may_
5 > have happened when I switched from XFCE to Openbox.
6 >
7 > After Googling a while, I've tried:
8 >
9 > $ dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/gtk-key-theme "'Emacs'"
10 > $ gconftool-2 --type=string --set /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme Emacs
11 > $ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-key-theme "Emacs"
12 >
13 > And setting gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs" in the following files:
14 >
15 > ~/.gtkrc-2.0
16 > ~/.gtkrc-3.0
17 > ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
18 > ~/.config/gtk-2.0/settings.ini
19 >
20 > Nothing works. I still have Windows key-bindings in Firefox.
21
22 The answer is to put the following line in ~/.gtkrc-2.0
23
24 gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
25
26 _without_ the '[Settings]' section header in front of it (that's
27 apparently a gtk-3 thing).
28
29 For weeks I've thought Firefox was flaking out: odd menus popping up,
30 input focus shifting around randomly, field values vanishing and
31 various other sorts of weirdness. Finally I realized that it had
32 switched to Windows key bindings instead of emacs. [I've been using
33 emacs key bindings for so long, I'm not even conscious of it most of
34 the time. Watching me try to use Windows programs is probably pretty
35 funny... until I throw a Donald.]
38 Grant