From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:19:28
1 On Wednesday 10 February 2010 14:57:57 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 10:27:32AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
3 >
4 > > but D-Bus provides a standard way for applications to communicate
5 > > with one another and removing it can stop your desktop working as
6 > > it should.
7 >
8 > Then how did things manage to work on my systems for the past 9 years,
9 > pray tell?
10
11 Because pre-dbus your desktop apps used a mish-mash of all sorts of $STUFF
12 that did the same thing in a spaghetti like manner. KDE had dcop but couldn't
13 talk directly to gnome apps and vice-versa.
14
15 post-dbus we have a coherent message bus system that is DE-agnostic and
16 supported by freedesktop. Apps get migrated to use dbus instead of spaghetti
17 and things work better.
18
19 With KDE-3.5 you couldn't just dispense with dcop and expect stuff to work.
20 Same with dbus currently.
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com