From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I move running proces to background & out of screen?
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:57:04
1 Daniel Heemann writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 01 March 2011 21:21:32 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > Jarry writes:
5 > > > is there any way to move running (already started) process
6 > > > to background, and disconnect it from screen/terminal
7 > > > so that I could log off (without terminating the process)?
8 > >
9 > > Ctrl-Z
10 > > bg
11 >
12 > I think to be able to detach from the terminal w/o terminating the
13 > process you also need 'disown'.
14
15 You are right. I was not sure myself, so I did test this, but only with a
16 'sleep 60' command. It was still running when I closed the shell, so I
17 thought this would work. But now I learnt this is not true for emerge. Does
18 anyone know why?
19
20 I agree with Stroller, tmux seems like the way to go. I do not use it (yet),
21 because I already know screen, but it is on my to do list, after some
22 postings here.
23
24 Wonko