From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:50:06
1 Mark Shields wrote:
2 > On Nov 27, 2007 4:19 PM, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net
3 > <mailto:dalek1967@×××××××××.net>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Dan Farrell wrote:
6 >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:18 -0600
7 >> Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> <mailto:dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
10 > You are correct. It has that exact line in the nsswitch.conf
11 > file. Someone tried to explain the "lookup" thing but it just
12 > went over my head. I know when I go to google for example that it
13 > goes to a DNS server to get the IP to know where to go to. I just
14 > never could figure why it did that when it has the number
15 > already. I just know that adding that to the host file worked
16 > like a charm.
17 >
18 > I'm still curious as to why the OP is having this problem. I
19 > suspect, like me all the time, it will be something pretty
20 > simple. We always find the complicated stuff. LOL
21 >
22 > Dale
23 >
24 > :-) :-) :-)
27 > The "lookup thing" is very similar to the same kind of DNS query used
28 > when visiting a website.
29 >
30 > --
31 > - Mark Shields
32
33 Yea, I got that part but why does it do that when you are using the IP
34 number to go to it? That was what was confusing me. Up until that
35 time, I didn't even name the systems since all I used them for was to
36 run folding. After I named them and put the entries in the hosts file,
37 it worked fine even when ssh'ing in with the IP number. Before that, it
38 took forever to login.
39
40 I would think that it would just go straight to it without a look-up at
41 that point. Then again, I'm not networking guru either.
42
43 Dale
44