From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc 3.4.x --> 4.1.x : a couple of questions
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:19:19
1 Hi,
2
3 Quite late :), I'm going to do my homework, that is the loooong upgrade
4 to gcc 3.4.x --> 4.1.x
5
6 The subject has been widely discussed, so I've just a couple of
7 questions to be super-safe:
8
9 - I'm going to follow [1] (of course) and [2] (looks nice). Other useful
10 guides?
11
12 - Is there a new incompatible GCC upgrade going to be unmasked? I see
13 4.2 and 4.3 are hard masked, but if there is the suspicion they're going
14 to be used relatively soon AND they are not binary compatible with 4.1,
15 I may wait for those. When I did 3.3-->3.4, I waited long, and 4.1
16 became stable after a week... :/
17
18 - Is it mandatory/highly advisable to recompile also the kernel, or can
19 I postpone? In the first case, when it's better to recompile it (before
20 all/after all)?
21
22 - Do I have to emerge glibc 2.4 first and gcc later, or I can have glibc
23 emerged in the emerge -e system?
24
25 - Any other glitch/tarpit I must be aware of?
26
27 [1]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml#doc_chap2
28 [2]http://www.benr75.com/pages/gentoo_gcc_4.1.1_upgrade_guide
29