From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Flashing hardware via WINE ?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:59:45
1 Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:35:44 +0100
2 schrieb tuxic@××××××.de:
3
4 > On 03/19 11:20, Kai Krakow wrote:
5 > > Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:57:22 +0100
6 > > schrieb tuxic@××××××.de:
7 > >
8 > > > On 03/19 09:37, Kai Krakow wrote:
9 > [...]
10 > [...]
11 > [...]
12 > [...]
13 > [...]
14 > > >
15 > > > Hi Kai (that's a rhyme! :)
16 > >
17 > > Yeah, I know that one... If you are from Germany, you'll also get
18 > > why my former nick (some years ago) was "Shark" :-)
19 > >
20 > > > I have installed Virtualbox already and use the Linux Image I
21 > > > installed there for banking purposes only. Feels more secure.
22 > >
23 > > So something like application virtualization... You could maybe run
24 > > in an isolated container, only exposing the xserver or run inside a
25 > > nested xserver. It would probably greatly reduce startup times and
26 > > not waste a complete image.
27 > >
28 > > > I would prefer the WIndows-in-a-(virtual)box-solution) as you
29 > > > do -- if I would own a Windows installation disc. But do not.
30 > >
31 > > Well, you can easily get an image from MS using a Linux browser.
32 > > Just go to the Windows 10 download page. It will show a selection
33 > > form to choose the ISO instead of the nasty downloader they present
34 > > to Windows browsers. Then install this inside the VM. Even if not
35 > > activated, it runs for 1-2 hours before shutting down which should
36 > > be enough for most purposes you'll need it for.
37 > >
38 > > If you already activated a Windows installation with your MS
39 > > account, with some luck your Win10 VM may even become digitally
40 > > activated (this happened to me). No cracks involved. Should be
41 > > legal enough. ;-)
42 > > > But it is good to know, that the wine-workaround would either
43 > > > work or fail too early to damage anything.
44 > >
45 > > I tried some, and all failed because they didn't even find the
46 > > device. The ones that worked where either network based (flashing
47 > > via IP protocol) or using other simple interfaces (COM or LPT).
48 > >
49 > > > Is there anything important to know before doing an emerge
50 > > > of wine (need I more than app-emulation/wine?) -- I have
51 > > > literally no experience with this emulator - the flashing
52 > > > tool is a 32bit gui application...) ???
53 > >
54 > > Wine = wine is no emulater ;-)
55 > >
56 > > Actually, it's the Windows API implemented as .so files plus an EXE
57 > > loader to enable the kernel to run PE binaries (instead of ELF). So
58 > > nothing is emulated, it's running native. There's also a thin layer
59 > > of drivers implemented to transform API calls to native kernel
60 > > interfaces, like HID (for input devices). So everything connecting
61 > > to simple HID-USB should also work (some custom USB hardware just
62 > > implement a HID interface, it's simple and cheap).
63 > >
64 > > If your applications work depends on if the required parts of the
65 > > API had been implemented (including the bugs that exists between
66 > > different versions of Windows).
67 > >
68 > > So, with this knowledge, you simply emerge wine with the useflags
69 > > that look useful to you. If you don't need graphics (DirectX) or
70 > > don't want to apply your linux GUI theme to Windows apps, you can
71 > > ignore the staging useflag. Wine can be compiled with both 64bit
72 > > and 32bit support.
73 > >
74 > > After installation, get familiar with the winecfg utility. It allows
75 > > mapping unix path to Windows drive letters. And it allows to set
76 > > Windows version per EXE you run (to expose different API bugs and
77 > > behavior to your application). Also, you can set DDL overrides
78 > > (which is what Windows itself uses when you run applications in
79 > > compatibility mode, or when you put DLL overrides manually in the
80 > > registry). Tho, here you can decide between native (native DLL on
81 > > filesystem) or builtin (*.dll.so file from Wine), and the order in
82 > > which they are tried.
83 > >
84 > > You may also run with different WINEDEBUG settings if you want to
85 > > work out problems. There are fixme lines which usually show stub
86 > > implementations of API calls (functions that do nothing, and are
87 > > there just to return success or fail). You can use it like this:
88 > >
89 > > # WINEDEBUG=-all wine your-exe-file.exe
90 > >
91 > > If you'd like to easily manage different Wine prefixes, I'd
92 > > recommend using PlayOnLinux - it's not only useful to games. It
93 > > also has a long list of scripted installers for installing popular
94 > > Windows extensions that you may need (fonts, VB runtimes, C
95 > > runtimes) in different versions.
96 > >
97 > > And then, maybe you want to use winetricks, tho it may be a bit
98 > > tricky to run this with PlayOnLinux because it will default to the
99 > > non-PlayOnLinux wine prefix. Easy work-around: Launch a commandline
100 > > shell from within PlayOnLinux and run winetricks there.
101 > >
102 > > With PlayOnLinux you can easily reset or discard wine prefixes if
103 > > you messed up. Also, you can see each prefix as some sort of
104 > > compatibility profile you individually crafted per Windows
105 > > application you are running.
106 > >
107 > > --
108 > > Regards,
109 > > Kai
110 > >
111 > > Replies to list-only preferred.
115 > Hallo Kai,
116 >
117 > jupp - ich bin aus Deutschland...die Sache mit dem "Shark"
118 > ist ja nett! :)
119 >
120 > Yepp - I am from germany...the "Shark" nickname is nice! :)
121 >
122 > The problem with "secure banking" is two sided: First it has
123 > to be secure from the technical point of view and secondlu
124 > -- in case of being hacked -- the "experts"
125 > from the credit institute has to be convinced, that everything
126 > was done to secure the banking tasks.
127 > In latter case a "complete isolation" via Virtualbox seems
128 > more intuitively to be understood than more advanced
129 > setups with the same technical degree of security.
130 > See here for more:
131 > https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Hacker-brechen-aus-virtueller-Maschine-aus-3658416.html
132
133 Well, according to your setup, your concept should be to stop hackers
134 from breaking into the virtual machine or its communication... ;-)
135
136 So it only works if you jail all your applications inside of containers
137 or VMs - and do not use the base (outside) system for anything else
138 than starting VMs and containers.
139
140 To do it right, you should not put the security sensitive actions
141 inside of a VM but the potentially unsecure actions, like surfing the
142 web or reading mails. Your concept is broken by design. ;-)
143
144 > Back to bussiness: Wine wth a 32bit flashtool is not suitable for me,
145 > since I am running a pure 64bit (no multilib) Gentoo setup.
146
147 Multilib is pretty easy these days since having ABI useflags. Tho,
148 switching and migrating can be a hassle due to conflicts. I've done
149 that step a while ago to run Steam in linux.
150
151 If you enable a multilib profile and then emerge wine with ABI32
152 useflags, it should pull in only those packages for multilib rebuild
153 that are needed. Of course, first compile the kernel to support 32bit
154 user space.
155
156 > I think I have to send the charger to the vendor
157 > for updateing it...sigh.
158
159 Then, use VirtualBox and, with a Linux browser, download the Win10 ISO
160 directly from Microsoft. Windows can be run in evaluation mode for up
161 to 180 days (starting with 30 days, you can use a builtin command line
162 tool from MS to maybe extent that period). Just don't enter a product
163 key during installation.
164
165 German link:
166 https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10
167
168 Do not select the "single language" download: It does not have the
169 German version.
170
171 You may not even need to install Windows. In the setup screen, select
172 the language, then press Shift+F10 to launch a command line window. Now,
173 attach a USB stick with the flashing tool and firmware, pass it through
174 to the VM using USB-passthrough in VirtualBox, find the correct
175 driver letter, and you should be good to go: If the tool doesn't need
176 any drivers, it should work. COM ports should be available. Otherwise,
177 close the command window and just install Windows for the sole purpose
178 of one-time-flashing. Or try installing the drivers by putting them on
179 the USB stick and running setup.exe: As long as no reboot is required,
180 it should work. I think you cannot run the device manager from there
181 because it is not available in the pre-installation environment.
182
183 Past the evaluation period, Windows will simply put a black background
184 and shut down every few hours.
187 Regards,
188 Kai
189