From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 19:46:56
1 On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 19:16:55 GMT antlists wrote:
2 > On 18/11/2020 11:22, Michael wrote:
3 > > However, if you really want to have your /home directory on the same
4 > > partition
5 > > as / then a step by step approach could be:
6 > One big problem with /home on / is that a rogue luser can DoS your
7 > system by filling the disk. Same reason you should keep /var on a
8 > different partition - you don't want logs filling the partition because
9 > you got your rotate wrong ...
10 >
11 > Cheers,
12 > Wol
13
14 I usually leave the /home and /boot directories on / for VM systems, which I
15 use only for testing. I have no personal data on these systems and only use
16 them to test OS or apps and particular configurations with them. On
17 installations which I use on personal laptops/desktops I always have /var, /
18 home, /boot on separate partitions for good reasons already mentioned.
19 However, each to their own. :-)