From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange beeps from windows
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:48:06
1 On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 10:26 +0000, Thufir wrote:
2 > I almost strictly use GNOME, and since configuring ALSA notice this
3 > annoyance that many events from Pidgin cause "beeps" through the speakers
4 > (when Pidgin starts and it auto-joins an IRC channel or someone addresses
5 > a message to me, or IM's me, etc.). The "beeps" also are caused by non-
6 > Pidgin events, it's just that Pidgin is the worst offender. These
7 > "beeps" are through the soundcard/speaker, it's different from the
8 > "system beep".
9 >
10 > I've disabled many beeps and tried many permutations of the sound
11 > configurations within GNOME to no avail. It has to be something
12 > available through the GNOME GUI?
13
14 I've been using GNOME for years and found you have to go out of your way
15 to turn on those annoying sounds in GNOME (explicitly install
16 gnome-audio, enable the sound server, then enable sounds). In Pidgin
17 sounds can be disabled simply by going to Preferences/Sounds/Method and
18 selecting "No Sounds".
22 Albert W. Hopkins
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list