From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] another grub problem
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:02:14
1 The newest update of grub from 0.97-r5 to 0.97-r6 contained the
2
3 *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
4 the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
5 stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
6 later stages will be the new version, which could
7 cause problems such as an unbootable system.
8
9 Since this is only a change in the -r, I suspect that it is not
10 necessary to reinstall stage1, but I tried anyway and had trouble.
11 Since I thought I repeated steps that worked before, I am asking for
12 help/explanations.
13
14 I run grub and then the following dialog.
15
16 GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 7168K upper memory)
17
18 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first
19 word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB
20 lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]
21
22 grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
23 (hd0,2)
24
25 As expected hd0 is the disk
26
27 grub> setup (hd <TAB>
28 Possible disks are: hd0 hd1
29
30 Again confirming that hd0 is a valid disk (as is hd1, but that is an
31 external scsi that does not contain stage1)
32
33 But now comes the problem. (I want grub in the MBR.)
34
35 grub> setup (hd0)
36
37 Error 12: Invalid device requested
38
39 What is wrong?
40
41 I should add that I am following directions for installing grub
42 natively, which is supposed to be done using a "GRUB boot disk". I
43 was trying it directly under gentoo, since I *think* that is what I
44 did last time.
45
46 I realize that the grub doc says that installing under the OS needs
47 grub-install. I don't think I did this because of the somewhat
48 frightening
49
50 *Caution:* This procedure is definitely less safe, because there
51 are several ways in which your computer can become unbootable. For
52 example, most operating systems don't tell GRUB how to map BIOS
53 drives to OS devices correctly--GRUB merely "guesses" the
54 mapping. This will succeed in most cases, but not
55 always. Therefore, GRUB provides you with a map file called the
56 "device map", which you must fix if it is wrong. *Note Device
57 map::, for more details.
58
59 However, if that is everyone's recommendation I will of course try it.
60
61 (I don't have a floppy drive. I do have a DVD+-RW, which naturally
62 works as a CDR. So could use this if I could figure out how to use
63 xcdroast to create it).
64
65 thanks,
66 allan