From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] persistent desktop (kde 4)
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 18:02:34
1 Hello,
4 Well after using kde4 for a month or so on a desktop (amd64)
5 today when I booted up the system, all the konsoles
6 were gone. I poked around the 'systems settings' but
7 did not see where/how you make whatever apps. you want
8 to be persistent (survive reboots). I'd like to recover
9 the old konsole settings and they each had 8 tabs
10 with custom titles and settings for each one, according to
11 my network management needs. I really do not want to go through
12 32 tabs and set them up again. It alway brought up the konsoles
13 the way I and them until today; and now they are gone. They are
14 not in any of the 4 default windows either. (surely I messed
15 something up upon reboot?) Hopefully there is a way to find
16 them or get them to appear again?
19 I could have easily missed the docs or maybe it's elsewhere?
20 So any suggestions are welcome, particularly where
21 one can read about how to set and adjust the app. settings.
22 or a wiki or 2 on cool things you can do with the kde4 settings?
23 Being hardware oriented, I tend to be a little absent minded
24 about these sort of details.......
27 With the variety of settings under Udev, HAL, evdev, x11
28 the kernel and now kde4, I'm not real certain where to look
29 for hardware vs application settings for things like audio
30 settings, video io (2) chipsets, nvidia on mobo
31 and ATI cin pciE slot, types of issues. Seems some things
32 are in 3 or 4 plays to tweak or configure.....
33
34 Maybe some what to glean what udev, hal and the kernel are each
35 doing for a give piece of hardware, or the apps that configure
36 or control the hardware? (dreaming here for a logical, systematic
37 approach)....... Sometimes I miss the old 2.4 kernel
38 way of doing things......
41 Maybe I just need to spend a few days reading the latest docs?
45 James