From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 21:48:28
1 On Monday 06 Oct 2014 16:44:57 Jens Reinemuth wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 18:59:31 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
3 > > Am 05.10.2014 um 18:27 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
4 > > > On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:ystem all that much.
5 > > >
6 > > > My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
7 > > > thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
8 > > > could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
9 > > > managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
10 > > > switched to claws and several years later switched again to
11 > > > Thunderbird.
12 > >
13 > > or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
14 > > But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
15 > > all filters broke - several times.
16 >
17 > I can't really count how many times i simply deleted all the
18 > .config/akonadi and .local/akonadi stuff - and let akonadi regenerate it,
19 > simply because i deeply believed in the whole crap getting better! It
20 > never got better...
21 >
22 > Currently i can live with all that stuff, simply by disabling all nepomuk-
23 > and akonadi-stuff and waiting for it to show all my mails again...
24 >
25 > Funny: My wife has a second account with exactly the same settings and is
26 > deeply annoyed by the permanent popups telling her that the balloo-indexer
27 > has closed... Indeed she has disabled it!!! So i have to kill that shit
28 > every time!
29 >
30 > Most annoying story in the last time: KdePIM 4.10 simply stopped working
31 > with my private Courier-IMAP-Server, telling everyone, that courier has a
32 > bug... Ok, maybe, but it worked since every Version and just stopped
33 > because one ore more developers simply decided to do things "right"!!!
34 >
35 > No Problem in Gentoo, simply mask and downgrade kdepim-meta... I had more
36 > problems at work with Kubuntu! With KDE4.10.1 everything works as
37 > expected...
38 >
39 > But this is just a gnome-like-behavior... The developers simply don't
40 > really care what the users want or need... i really never heard of anybody
41 > saying: Oh that search stuff is cool! I use it regularily!
42 >
43 > And to go deeper: Why don't they store documents in a database, that is
44 > better optimized for documents... MongoDB? CouchDB? Instead they use this
45 > shitty mixture of MySQL and Virtuoso!? WTF?
48 No, no, no! What they should do is use Microsoft's Sharepoint server
49 solution, which stores documents in the MS SQL as binary blobs ... millions of
50 corporate users can't be wrong! O_o
53 Regards,
54 Mick