From: "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with sound card
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:54:12
1 On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 20:35 +0800, Lavender wrote:
2 > I have asked the question in gentoo forum , but
3 > it seems that very few people like hanging around
4 > in forums , I didn't get useful method.
5 > My sound card can't work normally , when I use music
6 > player there is no sound .
7 > Someone said that I need low-level codec support , I'm not
8 > sure whether it is. Here is the information in sysfs, I really
9 > hope you can know where the problem is.
10 >
11 > # ls /sys/class/sound
12 > audio card0 card1 controlC0 controlC1
13 > dsp hwC0D0 hwC1D0 mixer mixer1
14 > pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p pcmC1D3p
15 > seq sequencer sequencer2 timer
16 >
17 > # ls -l /sys/class/sound/card0
18 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Oct 25 03:37 card0
19 > -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0
20 >
21 > # ls /sys/class/sound/card0/
22 > audio controlC0 device dsp
23 > hwC0D0 id mixer number
24 > pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p power
25 > subsystem uevent
26 > ----Regards----
27 > ----Lavender----
30 When you go in into the kernel config, there is the option for Intel
31 AC97-like sound, which I believe is what the majority of sound cards
32 use. For AC97 there are "codecs" in the kernel config. A safe choice
33 is to select them all.
34
35 The output you gave is not very helpful or informative, but I'll ask
36 just a few questions/suggestions:
37
38 * Looks like maybe you have 2 sound cards. Are you going through
39 the correct card for output?
40 * Did you go into alsamixer to verify that the appropriate outputs
41 are unmuted?
42 * Try "aplay" or "speaker-test" or something else low-level to see
43 if even basic output is working. It could be your sound card is
44 fine but you don't have the correct support for whatever music
45 player you are using.