From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:46:09
1 On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:02:45 +0100
2 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 17 September 2011 13:44:39 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > [GUIDs] are not the best thing to work with admittedly, but they are
7 > > guaranteed to be unique for all reasonable human needs. In a world
8 > > when we plug things out of anything and plug them back into
9 > > anything, a guaranteed unique ID is a necessaity.
10 >
11 > As I said, I do not expect to move hard disks around willy-nilly in
12 > my boxes, so it certainly isn't a necessity - I don't have an armada
13 > of hundreds of boxes here. And I still haven't seen a compelling
14 > reason not to quote, e.g., /dev/sda3 in fstab. I know where my
15 > partitions are and I want to continue to know that. Call it
16 > control-freakery if you like, but it's at the core of sys-admin (if I
17 > may say that to you, Alan).
20 Well, if you are completely confident you can deal with anything that
21 comes up, you should just continue doing what you've always done.
22 That's part of good sysadmining.
23
24 I express my own paranoia in a different way :-)
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com