From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] eth0 keeps starting
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:17:45
1 Ok, I'm out of ideas on this one.
2 On my laptop, I always had an issue with eth0; during boot, I got a
3 warning "no configuration found for eth0, assuming dhcp" despite the
4 fact that in /etc/conf.d/net I had config_eth0=( "dhcp" ). (btw, the
5 same config has always worked fine in any other computer, ie no
6 warnings). That has been like that for ages, but I did not care too much
7 since in the end what I wanted for eth0 was dhcp, and that is what I was
8 getting anyway, and I never bothered to find out more (yes, I should
9 have).
10
11 Now I don't want to start eth0 at boot anymore (only wlan0), so I
12 commented out the config_eth0=( "dhcp" ) in /etc/conf.d/net, and did a
13 rc-update del net.eth0 default (which correctly deleted net.eth0 from
14 the default runlevel). Sure enough, net.eth0 is not part of any runlevel
15 now:
16
17 # rc-update -a show
18 acpid | default
19 bootmisc | boot
20 checkfs | boot
21 checkroot | boot
22 clock | boot
23 consolefont | boot
24 hdparm | default
25 hostname | boot
26 iptables | default
27 keymaps | boot
28 local | default nonetwork
29 localmount | boot
30 modules | boot
31 net.lo | boot
32 netmount | default
33 net.tap100 | default
34 net.wlan0 | default
35 rmnologin | boot
36 splash | default
37 sshd | default
38 sysklogd | default
39 urandom | boot
40 vixie-cron | default
41 xfs | default
44 Nonetheless, at boot I keep getting the "no configuration found for eth0,
45 assuming dhcp" warning, and it stubbornly tries to bring up eth0 using
46 dhcp. As far as I can tell, no other initscript depends on net.eth0 (but
47 I may not be looking in the right place).
48
49 Any ideas?
50
51 Thank you.