From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CMYK comparison to sRGB between platforms
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:06:58
1 On Wednesday 09 September 2015 14:41:19 Mick wrote:
2
3 > Would you mind explaining how it works? You measure the icc of a monitor -
4 > what do you do with this then? Do you need to be running something like
5 > colord all the time to feed some correction data to xranrd?
6
7 You get a live DVD (Fedora) with the calibration program and some user notes.
8 The device comes with a strap to hold it against the middle of the screen, and
9 a 6' USB lead. The measuring process is straightforward, though complicated
10 for me by the fact that my screen is LED, not LCD. Still, I told it to treat
11 it as an LCD and the result, though a bit bright for my eyes, appears accurate
12 enough. It also knows about CRTs and projectors.
13
14 Once the calibration is complete (about 10 minutes for the standard
15 calibration) you have to copy the .icc directory from ~/.local/share to a USB
16 stick or something, then reboot into your usual system and double-click on the
17 file in your GUI file manager. That transfers the data to the monitor,
18 apparently permanently.
19
20 Simple, once you get out of the habit of using the CLI. Well, it would be,
21 except that I had to run:
22
23 $ Find / -iname \*.icc 2> /dev/null
24 $ mv .local/share/icc .
25
26 Then I could see the icc folder in the file manager and drag it to the USB
27 stick.
28
29 As for double monitors, the calibration program on the DVD asks you to choose
30 the monitor to calibrate, so it can detect more than one at a time, but I
31 don't know how transferring the .icc in the main system would work with two
32 monitors. You might have to download and install the client tools.
33
34 HTH.
37 Rgds
38 Peter