From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerging java with gcj
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:53:49
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:59:23 +0200
4 Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
5
6 > I've noticed that the gcj use flag is not enabled by default and
7 > therefore all java code is compiled to byte code instead of native
8 > binaries, am I correct?
9
10 I think the gcj flag toggles if java support is added at all.
11 gcj itself can compile to bytecode (class files) or native binary code.
12 In order to generate java bytecode, the flag "-C" has to be specified.
13
14 > I wonder how I can change that. Just re-emerge gcc with USE="gcj" and
15 > all packages containing java code? Is it even a good idea?
16
17 It will take a lot more time when emerging gcc. Whether you need it
18 depends on what you are planning to do with it... If you just need a
19 full blown JDK, the gcj might not be exactly what you want.
20
21 Gcj also brings the gij interpreter, which can be used to run java
22 bytecode.
23
24 -hwh
25 --