From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ["PATCH"] Linus breaks virtualbox-modules
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:02:43
1 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Now that kernel 3.8.0 is officially released, 'tis the season for Linus to
5 > > start breaking all of the third-party kernel modules he can, and virtualbox-
6 > > modules is the first (nvidia.ko and other kernel modules to follow, probably ;)
9 > Linus just merges the stuff. No need to make it sound like a personal vendetta.
10
11 I cannot speak for your specific case, but I know that Linus definitely did
12 break the SCSI generic pass through interface in Linux several times and one
13 time this was done while integrating his personal code.
14
15 At that time it turned out, that Linus does not seem to be able to understand
16 what changes may break an interface. The real problem however was that he was
17 not willing to fix his fault, so we can definitely call this case (from Spring
18 2004) a break by intention.
21 Jörg
24 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
25 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)