From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox update results in Yahoo request for newer version
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 14:56:24
1 On Jan 3, 2008 5:17 AM, Brian Marshall <snail@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 03:32:47 -0800
4 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi,
7 > > On my wife's 32-bit Gentoo machine we did a large Gnome update
8 > > today which ended up doing Firefox-2.0.0.11 at the same time. On her
9 > > machine I happen to use Yahoo as my home page and now I see a very
10 > > boring home page with Yahoo giving me this message:
11 > >
12 > > Why miss out?
13 > > To see all the new Yahoo! home page has to offer, please upgrade to a
14 > > more recent browser.
15 > >
16 > > Supported browsers include:
17 > > Internet Explorer 7 optimized by Yahoo!
18 > > Firefox 2.0
19 > > Safari 2.0
20 > > Opera 9
21 > >
22 > > Are others seeing the same thing?
23 > >
24 > > Thanks,
25 > > Mark
26 > I just checked for you, and I got the same page using the Firefox 3
27 > trunk. This is why discriminating based on user-agent is a Bad Thing,
28 > Yahoo.
29 >
30 > --
31 > Brian Marshall
34 Brian,
35 Thanks for checking.
36
37 I don't think it's Yahoo. I think it's Gentoo 32-bit.
38
39 My desktop machine is Gentoo 64-bit using 2.0.0.11 and it's working
40 perfectly fine.
41
42 - Mark
43 --