From: Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Fiber SAN
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:45:21
1 On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > Old cynic speaking here:
4 >
5 > Yes, they both have the same weak point: humans.
6 >
7 > In my experience the only storage technology that ever let me down badly
8 > was a decrepit Arena locally-attached badly designed POS.
9 >
10 > The humans that *run* the storage failed me many times. The SAN never
11 > deleted a LUN, the humans did - more than once.
12 >
13 > If you are assessing risk, do keep that one in mind.
14 >
15 > Other than that, no storage technology is really inherently better than
16 > any other, some are just better suited to what you need and have budget
17 > for.
20 > --
21 > Alan McKinnon
22 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
26 Hello Alan,
27
28 Thanks for joining us! I am a big believer of KISS, and was also hoping on
29 eventually getting some up-to-date simple and efficient strategies to
30 deploying and
31 managing SANs in a virtualized environment to mitigate things like human
32 error.
33 Things like zoning using (world wide name/ n_port id virualization), LUN
34 mapping
35 and masking etc...
36
37 Using the typical architecture Host (VM1, VM2, VMn)<------>SAN<-------->
38 Virtual Storage.
39 It would be interesting in knowing are handling the said, and also felxable
40 way of backing up
41 of virutal storage drives, snapshots etc...
42
43 Kind Regards,
44
45 Nick.