From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:51:08
1 Denis wrote:
2 > I'm curious to know your approach to keeping your Gentoo box current
3 > without it becoming a full-time job. I'm not talking about
4 > maintaining servers - just your "daily driver", so to say.
5 >
6 > How often do you sync with the current portage tree and compare it
7 > your versions in "world"? Should one do this once a week? Once in
8 > two weeks?
9 >
10 > How often to you update major components, like Xorg, kernel, and
11 > system tool chain? As soon as new things become available, or, say,
12 > once a month or so?
13 >
14 > The reason I ask is because I often don't have a lot of time to devote
15 > to system administration on a regular basis but do want to keep my box
16 > updated as much as possible. How do some of you non-developers
17 > balance system administration with your "day job"?
18
19 For the home samba server I update about once a year. My room mate
20 updates the mythtv machine never. My vps instance with mail, web, etc
21 does an eix-sync and glsa-check once a week and then I maybe emerge
22 something once a month. I've been playing with Apache 2.2 lately which
23 has been updating pretty quickly the last few weeks, but that's a bit of
24 out of the ordinary.
25
26 kashani
27 --