From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default USE flags for net-libs/webkit-gtk
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 11:00:37
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 09.11.2018 kell 10:59, kirjutas Yongming:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I wonder if there is a place to read previous discussions for a
5 > package/ebuild. Specifically, I am interested in the rationale behind
6 > having the "geolocation" flag on by default for net-libs/webkit-gtk.
7 >
8 > Currently on a desktop, having "geolocation" pulls in "geoclue"
9 > (which
10 > in turn pulls in "modemmanager" and so on), which is seemingly
11 > unnecessary in my case. I understand that these dependencies can be
12 > customised via /etc/portage/package.use/*, but I am also curious
13 > about
14 > the thinking behind net-libs/webkit-gtk having "geolocation" flag on
15 > by default.
16
17 We were asked this off-list. Now catching up, it seems that didn't
18 reach the list too, so here's belated information to others as well:
19
20 geolocation is a browser engine feature that is expected to be built by
21 default. Yes, it very likely also is default enabled by upstream, but
22 we also want to provide an out of the box good experience for browsers
23 built on top of webkit-gtk (such as epiphany and midori), which means
24 working geolocation support. Thus the default remains.
25
26 However, based on that query, we instead ended up removing the default
27 enabling of USE=modemmanager from geoclue itself. As a result,
28 odemmanager is not pulled in anymore for webkit-gtk without user making
29 that choice via enabling USE=modemmanager due to actually having a
30 modem (think 4G mobile modems, not the dial-up kind).
33 Mart