From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Resize /
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:47:13
1 · Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com>:
2
3 > Am Donnerstag, 16. November 2006 22:56 schrieb ext jakommo:
4 >
5 >> I think I try that, but I wait for a moment where it doesn't metter if
6 >> something goes wrong.
7 >
8 > There's always "telinit 1".
9 >
10 > You mentioned it's a RAID 5, and I think Neil also asked wether you're using
11 > LVM. If not, you should consider using it (or EVMS, which I prefer), so
12 > that you don't run into these troubles again in the future.
13
14 The advantage of EVMS over LVM in this case would be, that he
15 wouldn't have to reformat/repartition and would still be able
16 to resize the partition/filesystem, wouldn't he?
17
18 > You may hear different opinions about that, but you should also consider
19 > splitting your disks into several partitions (or better: logical volumes)
20 > anyway.
21
22 Yes, that's of course a good hint!
23
24 > BTW: I never needed to resize /.
25
26 Me too.
27
28 > Sometimes I need to grow /usr, but since I
29 > chose reiserfs for it, it can be done while mounted.
30
31 Yes, with reiserfs, this can be done. But also with every other
32 "normal" filesystem besides ext2.
33
34 Alexander Skwar
35 --