From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Managing my kernel
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 01:01:13
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Aleksandar L. Dimitrov [mailto:aleks_d@×××.de]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:16 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing my kernel
8 > On Mon, 14 May 2007 22:16:04 +0100
9 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
10 >
11 > > On Tue, 15 May 2007 00:37:57 +0200, Aleksandar L. Dimitrov wrote:
12 > >
13 > > > Gentoo is actually all about keeping all of the stuff as
14 > minimal as
15 > > > possible ;)
16 > >
17 > > Gentoo is all about doing what you want, not what other
18 > people think
19 > > you should do. It doesn't matter whether you want all modules, all
20 > > in-kernel, every module built or a compromise, it's up to you.
23 > Well, OK, I should probably add a 'for me' next time.
24 >
25 > Still, the guy asked about opinions - and my opinion I gave. Nothing
26 > more: In my opinion keeping stuff simple and slim on the
27 > kernel side means reliability and performance. This is an
28 > opinion formed by the (admittedly limited) experience I got so far.
29 >
30 > Regards, Aleks
31 > --
32 My personal preference, when it is it feasable, is to compile just the
33 modules the features that I actually have installed at the time, and
34 compile as much of it into the kernel as will function properly.
35
36 That way I don't have to worry about modprobing anything, and with the
37 newer kernels, most things that are compiled directly into the kernel
38 run pretty much automatically.
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list