From: Sumeet Pal Singh <sumeetpalsingh@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sharing file systems
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:10:25
1 HI
2 This mail is not directly related to gentoo.
3 I have gentoo,ubuntu 5.10 on my system and using FC3 since it was released.
4
5 I tried to install FC4 on my system by sharing the swap and /home partition
6 between FC4 and ubuntu. The installation went well. I did not install KDE in
7 FC4.
8 I was well aware of permission screw ups that this could lead to, hence I
9 did not create any user (The UID and GID of root is preserved across Linux
10 distros)
11
12 I booted in as root and created a new user with UID and GID same as on
13 ubuntu.
14 Now I booted in GNOME and it was completely configured!!!! Moreover gaim
15 started and signed me in to all my accounts!!! This was first time login...
16
17 My question is that can sharing /home okay for a long run or will it lead to
18 problems.
19 Also can other file systems like /usr be shared along with this and if it
20 can be then under what restrictions??
21 If any one has done this please let me know.
22
23 Sumeet