From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome not working
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:39:18
1 On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 07:06:02AM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote
2 > When I start gdm, I get a message on the screen which says oh no,
3 > something has gone wrong. The log file is at
4 > http://pastebin.com/qwNE7ee6 -- I would appreciate any help.
5 >
6 > I am running gentoo testing with the 3.8 unmasked.
7
8 Direct from the "Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users"
9 flamewar on gentoo-dev...
10
11 > And now that GNOME 3.8 is out, the game starts over again: logind
12 > is a hard requirement, logind is part of systemd, starting logind
13 > (which replaces consolekit) is not that trivial as you may think
14 > (and is the thing I started to work on anyway).
15 >
16 > And if this wasn't enough, it means that if you want GNOME 3.8,
17 > you need to get logind, which may or not may get included in our
18 > udev ebuild and if it won't, it means that you will be forced to use
19 > systemd as device manager if you want GNOME 3.8, which is believe
20 > it or not, the thing that Ubuntu did.
21
22 Do you have systemd/logind installed?
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications