From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sans-dbus was: gnome intrusion?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 18:43:05
1 On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM, Miroslav Rovis
2 <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
3 > On 161114-21:49+0000, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4
5 > I live without dbus. I've only recently noticed (can't be since long)
6 > there is a dbus flag.
9 I knew Gentoo doesn't force the use of dbus, but I had the flag set,
10 since I expected assorted breakages. For example, when viewing a pdf
11 file, will updating the view when the file changes be possible without
12 dbus? This is the kind of trouble I expect. Not the fault of Gentoo,
13 anyway.
14
15 As for the *kit stuff, I just don't have it. It's safe to do without
16 that stuff, as far as I can tell.
20 > Also, I've noticed that our developers are lending an ear to sans-dbus
21 > users, as they are getting way more packages then previosly that do not
22 > depend in the least on dbus anymore (Firefox, Wireshark, Inkscape ...
23 > well I don't use very many packages... Ah, not to forget, Qt5 now does
24 > not depend on dbus, or D-Bus, used below...)
25 >
26 Yes. A couple of weeks ago, I needed alpine, which tried to pull PAM.
27 The current ebuild already has PAM as an option, which is fine
28 (didn't emerge it yet, though). So, it seems some packages have hard
29 dependencies just because developers assumed "everybody uses it" or
30 "nobody will mind", not due to some dark agenda.
31
32 For my needs, Gentoo is the best distro out there. (Until recently, I
33 used Slackware, as well as Gentoo. Had to give up on Slackware 14.2,
34 with regret. Because pulseaudio,)
35
36 Regards,
37