From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Feckless xdm not much of a manager
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:37:59
1 On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 25 August 2010 15:22, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On 08/24/2010 08:36 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > >> In order to make progress on this thing, it's useful to be able to
6 > >> control the display manager. My problem has been that going to
7 > /etc/init.d
8 > >> and commanding "./xdm stop" seems to work, but has no effect on KDE.
9 > >> Manually killing kde (ps -ef | grep kde, etc) just starts another one.
10 > >> I finally figured out that I have to find the 'kdm' process and kill
11 > >> that, then a logoff or Ctl_Alt_BS actually gets rid of X, so I can do
12 > >> things like
13 > >> "X -configure" and so on.
14 > >
15 > [snip]
19 > Running /etc/init.d/xdm stop should kill kdm too. If it respawns,
20 > then run /etc/init.d/xdm zap.
21 > --
22 > Regards,
23 > Mick
26 zap does nothing about respawning. It is used when a daemon has somehow
27 died,
28 but is still marked as running. In such a case, you cannot start it again
29 without zapping
30 that marking so that it is recorded as being stopped.
31
32 I had more or less the opposite case -- a running daemon that was marked as
33 stopped.
34 Not exactly, because it was xdm marked as stopped, and kdm that was running.
35
36 This problem is repeatable on my system, so I probably borked it somehow.
39 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD