From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop resurrection... (solved)
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:40:18
1 ----- Original Message ----
2 From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
3 > On Wednesday 02 December 2009 20:52:35 BRM wrote:
4 > > ----- Original Message ----
5 > > From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
6 > > > 2009/12/2 BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>:
7 > > > - which makes me ask:
8 > > > What is your exact error message?
9 > > I'll post that tonight.
10
11 Exact error message was:
12
13 ERROR 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
14
15 Well, I mounted the drive again - and didn't go into the chroot shell.
16 I had been doing all the copying from within the chroot before.
17 I found the arch/i386/boot/bzImage, which does just point to arch/x86/boot/bzImage.
18
19 I had copied arch/x86/boot/bzImage but for whatever reason the md5 hashes of the image
20 and what I had copied didn't match. So I copied it, rebooted, and viola it worked.
21 Odd...not sure what was up with it; but it's working. Now to update the environment.
22
23 ----- Original Message ----
24 From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
25 > Oh, don't forget to mount /boot too. Very common thing to for
26
27 True; however I don't setup /boot that way unless I absolutely have to - namely for older systems that couldn't access the whole hard drive until after the kernel was loaded, or some other explicit reason. I haven't had a system like that in a long time. And it wasn't needed on this system.
28
29 Thanks!
30
31 Ben