From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about difference between emerge --update world and emerge vigra
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:25:27
1 On Thursday 25 September 2008 12:12:23 Vladimir Rusinov wrote:
2 > Gentoo's world only contains packages you have installed manually (emerge
3 > package). and without -1 option. Would does not contains packages that have
4 > been installed as dependencies to other packages.
5 > You could view /var/lib/portage/world to see what it contains.
6 >
7 > If you really need vigra, it is a good idea to add it to world file: emerge
8 > --noreplace vigra
9 > Howewer, I don't recommend add any dependencies which you are no using
10 > directly to world. It would make --depclean useless.
11
12 I think he understands that by now. His question is more like:
13
14 If eix tells me that an update to vigra is available, then why does emerge -uD
15 world not pick it up?
16
17 sorcerer, what is your arch, and what is the outputs from 'eix -e vigra'
18 and 'emerge -pv media-libs/vigra'
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com