From: karl@××××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network switch - LED will not turn ON
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 09:04:06
1 Wol:
2 > On 26/04/21 22:53, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 > > If they cable is the problem the LED port on the 70ft long cable
4 > > on the switch would be orange "not green"; correct me anybody if
5 > > I'm wrong.
6 >
7 > I guess it depends what's wrong with the cable. And what the green light
8 > is testing for.
9
10 As can be seen from
11
12 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation#Electrical_signals
13
14 autonegotiation only runs at 10Base-T speeds. Its use is to make
15 sure that the endpoints are operating with the same parameters.
16
17 Note, it does not tests whether the cable and connector are suitable
18 for that negotiated link speed.
19
20 Also,
21
22 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet#1000BASE-T
23
24 says that the tests are not done on all cable pairs, so even
25 if pair 1 and 2 are perfect, faulty pair 3 and 4 may make
26 communication fail.
27
28 ///
29
30 So if the link led lights up, but the communication fails,
31 something between the mii's (the electronics, the chips)
32
33 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media-independent_interface
34
35 is faulty and it is with high probability that the cable is faulty.
36
37 Regards,
38 /Karl Hammar