From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] /dev/hda not created
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:31:06
1 I've got one of my servers that doesn't have /dev/hda on it at boot
2 time.
3
4 I've got a lite-on DVD burner there that works just fine (once I create
5 the device) and is noted as "hda" in the boot messages.
6
7 However, /dev/hda doesn't exist. That's a problem. /dev/hda?* did
8 exist, though...
9
10 I tried turning off the DEV_TARBALL option in /etc/conf.d/rc and
11 rebooting. Then there was no /dev/hda* at all. I have created
12 /dev/hda* with MAKEDEV and turned the DEV_TABALL back on, but I don't
13 know that that will make any difference, becasue I've created /dev/hda
14 before and rebooted with the TARBALL option on and /dev/hda still wan't
15 there.
16
17 I also had someone say that they had to manually modprobe ide_cdrom one
18 time, but I didn't see that happen this time (maybe someone else did
19 it...).
20
21 I re-emerged udev, in case a config was corrupted, but no config files
22 changed and /dev/hda was still not there after reboot.
23
24 I suspect it's a udev configuration issue, but since I didn't change
25 anything, I'm not sure how it would've broken.
26
27 Thanks.
30 -M
31
32 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
33 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list