From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unabridged english dictionary?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 13:56:11
1 On Mon, 8 June 2015, at 2:25 pm, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > ...
3 > So I just ran across this word "emeried" and I can only find emory.
4 > I think "emeried" is obscure in both meaning and usage.
5
6 My 1970's copy of the 24-volume Oxford English Dictionary says that emery as a verb is to rub with emery (e.g. emery paper, I guess).
7
8 So I guess an example sentence would be "before the panel can be repainted, it must be emeried until all traces of the paint have been removed."
9
10 I agree this is obscure - I had to look it up, and my Mac's Dictionary.app doesn't contain it, either.
11
12 Are you trying to fix the dictionary? I have often felt Unix /usr/share/dict contains many words so obscure (or obsolete) as to be useless, but it seems to me this not only needs to be addressed upstream, but it's also pretty much a fulltime job for someone.
13
14 Stroller.