From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nots and bolts of creating an ebuild
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:31:02
1 On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:16:26 -0600
2 Harry Putnam wrote:
3
4 > After looking at:
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap2
6 >
7 > [ Ebuild HOWTO ]
8 >
9 > Reading only partially so far but this looks really complicated. I
10 > thought I remembered a more nuts and bolts howto somewhere more
11 > appropriate for someone getting started who is ..er intellectually
12 > challenged.
13 >
14 > I really just want to add an epatch line to an existing ebuild but it
15 > appears some protocols need to be followed to generate the manifest
16 > and probably lots of other stuff.
17 >
18 > Can anyone point me to something?
19 >
20 > I've see it said here a few times that creating an overlay and a
21 > custom ebuild is `easy' but I suspect that only applies if you already
22 > know how its done.
25 I've created a couple of patch ebuilds, so can provide some
26 (non-expert) info. I don't recall all the steps I took to get
27 "educated" in this process, but I remember looking at a variety of
28 ebuilds, the patterns in their names (what's legal), and the commands
29 used within them.
30
31 For "system/package" (for example mail-filter/bogofilter) one would
32
33 1) create directory /usr/local/portage/system/package and
34 copy /usr/portage/system/package/* to it.
35
36 2) put the patch file in /usr/local/portage/system/package/files/
37
38 3) create a new ebuild (with updated version) and an epatch line in
39 src_install()
40
41 4) update the manifest file with
42
43 ebuild system/package/package-version.ebuild digest
44
45 Obviously these instructions are somewhat minimal. You'll likely need
46 to run "emerge package" more than once to get the details right.
47
48 HTH,
49
50 David