From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Migrating to python3_6 ?
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 04:42:39
So,

I have been reading all sorts of things from you cannot get rid of
python 2.7 to it's straightforward to leave python2_7.

"Jan 1 2020 python 2.7 is bye_bye"

If this is true, I'm not sure which to upgrade to  Python 3.6,7,8,9;
versus 3.7 seems most poputlar ?

I have these versions of python installed 2.7.15, 3.5.5 and 3.6.5
and these settings in make.conf::

  PYTHON_TARGETS=" python2_7 python3_6"
  PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"

Sometimes it's hard to sort out the most accurate/current docs to read
from the older docs, related to various issues. I'm a none systemd
gentoo user, and not the sharpest tac in the box.......(python_challenged?)

eix --installed-with-use python_targets_python2_7
When I run this command string, I get 157 ::

Here are a few of the docs that seem reasonable, but may not be the best
guides to follow, on the journey from Python2 to Python3?

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2018-05-22-python3-6.html

https://stxnext.com/blog/2019/04/16/python-3-migration-guide/

https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/python_single_target_python3_6

https://devguide.python.org/#status-of-python-branches

Perhaps I've missed a straightforward guide, or a way to mitigate when a
package still want python2_7 ?

Info and guidance is most welcome.

James