From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can someone please explain to me why these bugs are duplicates?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 00:19:06
1 On Thursday 08 February 2007 00:59:49 Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 > > So... it will be a lot easier for me to tell you what your
3 > > options are wrt.
4 > > working around this bug if you post the output of:
5 > >
6 > > # emerge -Dup world --tree --verbose
7 >
8 > Thanks, but I don't have a bug to solve here. Just the feature request.
9
10 It would make it easier to explain why bug #157361 is a dupe of #1343 though.
11 Assuming that still isn't clear to you?
12
13 > > Wrt. bug #165709 I'd probably have pointed you towards app-portage/eix and
14 > > resolved it as WONTFIX or even INVALID as I really don't see the point in
15 > > that feature request. There are a lot of tools including eix that are a
16 > > lot more suitable for queries about what is stable and what isn't. I do
17 > > understand jakubs reasoning for thinking it's triggered by bug #157361 and
18 > > hence marking it a dupe of that though.
19 >
20 > Yes, but then I have to manually, one at a time search eix and compare to
21 > the output of 'emerge world'. I use eix. That's actually why I suspect that
22 > the feature could be implemented fairly easily. Portage has all the info it
23 > needs.
24
25 You do know that eix is not related to portage in any way? Anyway, can you
26 explain to me how this feature would help you at all. I really don't
27 understand the use case for it.
28
29 > > I think reopening the same bug 3 times is a terrible idea. It
30 > > clearly doesn't help anyone.
31 >
32 > Nor does just blindly closing it without really comprehending what the
33 > request is for.
34
35 Jakub is handling a lot of bugs so obviously he does make mistakes
36 occasionally. I don't think he makes that many of them but arguably he should
37 have reassigned #165709 to dev-portage@ and let them handle it. Do note that
38 Jakub is a bug-wrangler not a maintainer.
39
40 > > The most obvious options after the first time are to CC the
41 > > dev-portage@g.o alias on the bug to make the portage devs aware of
42 > > it (while commenting about why you do that), [...].
43 [SNIP]
44 > Actually, I'll just concede defeat. :(
45
46 That's your decision then.
47
48 --