From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stage3 only for i486?
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 18:17:29
1 On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 07:51:17PM +0200, Davide Carnovale wrote:
2 > Hi all gentoo people!
3 > I've been away from gentoo for a while, and I'm in the process of
4 > reinstalling it today.
5 > While downloading the stage 3 I noticed that only an i486 version is
6 > available. As far as I remember, gentoo was best known, back in the
7 > days, for being fast, as it was one of the first distro to support
8 > i686... am i wrong with this? if not, why only i486 today?
9 >
10 > apart from the reasons behind the decision of shipping only an i486
11 > stage 3, do you think it's worth the pain to recompile everything
12 > (like the old stage1) for a different arch? i have an intel i5
13 > processor.
14 >
15 > regards
16 >
17 > Davide
18
19 Hi Davide,
20
21 The directories I checked read:
22 http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3-i686/
23 but the tarball states it's hardened:
24 http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3-i686/stage3-i686-hardened-20130326.tar.bz2
25
26 Haven't personally used a x86 in years.
27 --
28 Happy Penguin Computers >')
29 126 Fenco Drive ( \
30 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
32 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
33 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
34
35 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
36 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
37 A: Top-posting.
38 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
39
40 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting