From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:29:12
2 > > Zerotier looks especially interesting. Can I have machine A listen for
3 > > Zerotier connections, have machine B connect to machine A via Zerotier,
4 > > have machine C connect to machine A via Zerotier, and rsync push from B
5 > > to C?
6 >
7 > You set up a network and the machines all connect to that network, so A,
8 > B and C can all talk to each other.
9 >
10 > > Does connecting two machines via Zerotier involve any security
11 > > considerations besides those involved when connecting those machines to
12 > > the internet? In other words, is it a simple network connection or are
13 > > other privelages involved with that connection?
14 >
15 > Connections are encrypted, handled by the ZeroTier protocols, but
16 > otherwise it behaves like a normal network connection.
17 >
18 > > Can I somehow require the Zerotier connection between machines A and C
19 > > in order for C to pass HTTP basic authentication on my web server which
20 > > resides elsewhere? Maybe I can route all traffic from machine C to my
21 > > web server through C's Zerotier connection to A and lock down basic
22 > > authentication on my web server to machine A?
23 >
24 > Your ZeroTier connections are on a separate network, you pick an address
25 > block when you set up the network but that network is only accessible to
26 > other machines connected to your ZeroTier network. You can have ZT
27 > allocate addresses within that block, it's not dynamic addressing because
28 > one a client is given an address, it always gets the same address, or you
29 > can specify the address for each client. So you can include an address
30 > requirement in your .htaccess to ensure connections are only allowed from
31 > your ZT network.
35 The answer to this may be an obvious "yes" but I've never done it so I'm
36 not sure. Can I route requests from machine C through machine A only for
37 my domain name, and not involve A for C's other internet requests? If so,
38 where is that configured?
39
40 BTW, how did you find ZT? Pity there's no ebuild yet.
41
42 - Grant