From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b burning BD-Disk pretends to fail at 99.99%
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:51:55
1 Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at> wrote:
2
3 > > I don't use k3b but I know when I burn a 25GB disc image using
4 > > growisofs, I have to disable the spare sectors otherwise it won't fit
5 > > on the disc, and it burns all the way until the end where it fails,
6 > > rather than "knowing" ahead of time that it won't fit.
9 > Don't think so, since the media I've burnt were 10G and 22G large.
10
11 What growisofs definitely causes with formatting the media is to make it slow.
12
13 Growisofs is not a cleanly writen application. It frequently returns slightly
14 modified mode data to the drive that was fetched before from the drive. The way
15 this new data is created is in conflict with the SCSI standard. Some drives
16 still accept the data others do not. In some cases, sending back identical data
17 will even switch the drive into unwanted behavior. A quick statement could be:
18 It was written in C++ but looks like assembly code.... Note that there was no
19 update since 5 years and several people reported less problems when using
20 cdrecord instead of growisofs.
21
22 Jörg
25 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin