From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mutt probs
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:46:34
1 On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:37:04PM -0700, maxim wexler wrote
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > Following the "Quickstart Guide to Mutt" have
5 > encountered the following problems:
6 >
7 > $fetchmail -av -m "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
8 > fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying yahoo.com (protocol POP3) at
9 > Wed Jul 6 13:51:41 2005: poll started
10 > fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting to
11 > connect to server yahoo.com.
12 > fetchmail: socket error while fetching from yahoo.com
13 > fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying yahoo.com (protocol POP3) at
14 > Wed Jul 6 13:56:41 2005: poll completed
15 > fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
16 > fetchmail: normal termination, status 2
17 >
18 > Is that protocole(POP3) correct for yahoo?
21 If you're using Yahoo.com, I believe that you have to pay for popmail
22 access. I.e., it's not part of the free package. If you do have an
23 account see http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-03.html for the
24 correct settings.
25
26 > Also, the guide doesn't mention it but do I need to
27 > emerge sendmail? It just says enter m in Muttpager(?)
28 > if I want to use sendmail.
29 >
30 > man mutt mentions sendmail but man sendmail drew a
31 > blank.
32 >
33 > Here's my attempt at emerging sendmail:
34
35 mutt needs something to provide the functionality of sendmail.
36 sendmail is a huge, complex beast, which you probably don't want to
37 administer. You only need a very basic subset of sendmail in order to
38 push your email "out the door" from your system to your ISP's smarthost.
39 ssmtp provides that basic functionality.
40
41 The ssmtp binary is "/usr/sbin/ssmtp", and it also usually has a symlink
42 "/usr/sbin/sendmail", for those programs that expect to see sendmail. I
43 strongly recommend removing the sendmail symlink, and inserting a dummy
44 file that cannot be overwritten, by executing the commands...
45
46 rm /usr/sbin/sendmail
47 touch /usr/sbin/sendmail
48 chmod 555 /usr/sbin/sendmail
49 chattr +i /usr/sbin/sendmail
50
51 If you set up ssmtp with the sendmail symlink, and don't watch what
52 you're doing, chatty cron jobs will send their output to "root", which
53 will go to "root@your_isp"; oops. In your .muttrc, enter the line...
54
55 set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -v -d3"
56
57 so that mutt knows which MTA to use for sendmail-type services.
60 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
61 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
62 --
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list