From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tunneling or redirect attack?
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:11:15
1 On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:53 PM, laurent <laurent@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Helmut Jarausch a écrit :
3 >>
4 >> On  1 Dec, laurent wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Hi,
8 >>>
9 >>> Is it a common thing, or really easy to do,  to redirect the content from
10 >>> a server to another one?
11 >>>
12 >>> Like launching an lil app telling the port to listen and then get all
13 >>> data travelling there??
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>
17 >> You might consider ssh tunneling
18 >>
19 >> google for these 2 words, e.g. you get
20 >>
21 >> http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/ssh-tunnel.html
22 >> https://calomel.org/firefox_ssh_proxy.html
23 >> http://members.shaw.ca/nicholas.fong/vnc/
24 >>
25 >> and many more.
26 >>
27 >> Helmut.
31 > So it means I could always connect to internet through my remote server.
32 > Anywhere I am on this planet I connect to my server and it/he get the
33 > content for me.
34 > Kinda sweet.
35 > Does it mean it could balance/regulate and augmente my bandwith power for my
36 > workstation?
37 >
38 > Laurent
39
40 Well, if you mean always connect to internet through your remote
41 server in terms of bypassing a firewall or silent proxy, possibly but
42 not guaranteed (and likely against whatever agreement you have that
43 put you in a position to be behind that firewall or proxy anyhow). To
44 use it for that purpose, you would have to be able to, at the least,
45 get to your remote server... which is just somewhere else on the
46 internet itself.
47
48 As for augmenting bandwidth for your local system, using the remote
49 one... not really, no. Whatever link you use to get to the remote
50 server is likely to be the same you're going to use to get to anywhere
51 else on the internet, and it's that last link that tends to be the
52 most limiting factor on speed. I have, however, used a slow link to
53 connect to a system I had on a faster link somewhere, downloaded the
54 files I wanted on that system, then pulled them off onto a usb drive
55 when I was physically with that system the next time... but trying to
56 pull from that system to where I was controlling it from would have
57 been the same as, if not slower than, pulling those files directly
58 from the original source.
59
60 So an all around yes, but no, answer ;)
63 Poison [BLX]
64 Joshua M. Murphy