From: Ralph Slooten <axllent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I (user) can write to / ... but why? (solved)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:13:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 The problem on both my laptop and workstation was simply the fact that
5 the root partition (/) was owned by UID=1000 GUI=100. Apparently this is
6 a bug, but a simple `chown root:root /` was sufficient to fix the
7 problem, and I also changed several file-permissions in underlying
8 directories (like usr).
9
10 Thanks all for your help
11
12 Greetings
13 Ralph
14
15 Ralph Slooten wrote:
16 > Hiya all,
17 >
18 > Now I feel *really* stupid asking this, but for the life of me I cannot
19 > work it out. On two machines here at home I discovered that I can write
20 > as a particular normal user to the root partition (/). This also means I
21 > can rename /root to /root1 if I want (I just tried), and create / delete
22 > files on / too. The strange thing is this does not work for another
23 > account (wife's) on the same machine, which seems to have the same
24 > permissions. It's almost like / is getting mounted by user "axllent"
25 > here. Other partitions that get mounted do not work, just /
26 >
27 > I have checked fstab:
28 > /dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 0
29 >
30 > In /etc/lilo.conf (on one machine that uses it) I have:
31 > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.10
32 > label="2.6.11.10"
33 > root=/dev/hda3
34 > vga=791
35 > read-only
36 >
37 > the permissions of /dev/hda3 are:
38 > axllent@workstation ~ $ ll /dev/hda3
39 > lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 33 Aug 15 18:55 /dev/hda3 ->
40 > ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3
41 >
42 > axllent@workstation ~ $ ll /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3
43 > brw------- 1 root root 3, 3 Jan 1 1970
44 > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3
45 >
46 > My groups for this user on both machines are:
47 > wheel audio cdrom games cdrw usb users portage
48 > &
49 > wheel audio at usb users
50 >
51 > My wife who cannot write to / has
52 > wheel audio games usb users
53 >
54 > Using Reiserfs3.
55 >
56 > Does anyone have any idea what's causing this, and possibly how I can
57 > make / read-only?
58 >
59 > Greetings
60 > Ralph