From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup and Restore
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:34:09
1 Thomas Chef <thomas.chef@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Now that my gentoo system is up and running the applications that I want to
4 > use, how do I make a reliable backup ?
5 >
6 > Can I follow the guide on:
7 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Backup_to_DVD
8 >
9 > Is that a proven/working method ?
10
11 Be very careful as GNU tar is buggy and does not always like to read
12 continuation volumes from multi volume archives. This is extremely nasty as
13 you will realize the problem once it is too late.
14
15 GNU tar also does not support to archive all meta data from Linux.
16
17 I recommend to use star. Star implementes reliable multi volume support and
18 archives all meta data that is available on Linux. Only a reliable multi volume
19 support inside the archiver allows you to read back archives starting past
20 volume#1.
21
22 Note that star also implements a nice true incremental backup feature that
23 does not need additional data while creating backups. There is a database
24 for old and new inode numbers in incremental restore mode.
25
26 Check the star man page for examples on backups and incremental backups.
27
28 Use tsize=4200k -multivol to tell star to write archives with multi volume
29 information that split files across volumes.
30
31 Use mkisofs to create a ISO filesystem (hve a look at the -stream-media-size
32 option.
33
34 Use cdrecord to write the ISO file to DVD.
35
36 Jörg
39 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
40 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)