From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] GRUB: Configuring a softlevel for grub
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:06:53
1 I followed the Handbook page [1] to set up an additional runlevel for a
2 different network environment. The first part, adding and customizing
3 the services with rc-update in the new level, went swimmingly. Now I'm
4 at the line
5
6 > Edit the bootloader configuration and add a new entry for the offline
7 > runlevel. In that entry, add softlevel=offline as a boot parameter.
8
9 In my case the bootloader is grub2. Looking at the way
10 /boot/grub/grub.cfg is generated, the Linux menu entries come from
11 /etc/grub.d/10_linux, and that script is hardwired to create exactly one
12 normal entry per kernel version, plus maybe a rescue entry that boots
13 into single user. There is no provision for additional multiuser
14 entries. So I have to create my own, but this seems to imply I have to
15 do one of:
16
17 1. modify 10_linux itself: huge, complex, dangerous
18
19 2. copy 10_linux into a new file and edit just the single line with boot
20 params: ugly, fragile if 10_linux changes
21
22 Any other way? I dream of somehow "referencing" 10_linux with just the
23 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable changed.
24
25 [1]
26 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Initscripts#Using_softlevel
29 Please *no* private copies of mailing list or newsgroup messages.
30 Why does the arrow on Hillary signs point to the right?