From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: going from systemd to udev
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 00:23:15
1 On 02/04/2014 04:10 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >> I'm sure that unsetting the consolekit useflag (when I switched to systemd)
5 >> resulted in some non-MicroSoft behavior, e.g. I now need to authenticate as
6 >> root when plugging or ejecting a USB stick, and yet again when I poweroff or
7 >> reboot the machine
8 >
9 > This does not happen with GNOME 3. At all. The only time I'm asked for
10 > my root password is when I add or remove a printer, and
11 > app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome has been doing this since the
12 > very beginning. I'm still hoping that someone fix that thing.
13 >
14 > With GNOME+systemd (and therefore, logind), the seat0 user gets
15 > ownership of all removable devices (except printers, see above), and
16 > the hardware buttons (poweroff, reset, suspend, etc.) No root password
17 > asked. Ever.
18 >
19 > You can see your seat with loginctl; if your seat is not seat0, that's
20 > why your password is being asked. If it's seat0, then something else
21 > is going on. Do you have pam_systemd.so enabled in /etc/pam.d?
22
23 I am seat0 (I forgot about loginctl, thanks) but I'm not sure what you
24 mean by "enabled in /etc/pam.d". Many months ago I remember being confused
25 by the last line of system-auth:
26
27 #cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
28 auth required pam_env.so
29 auth sufficient pam_ssh.so
30 auth required pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
31 auth optional pam_permit.so
32
33 account required pam_unix.so
34 account optional pam_permit.so
35
36 password required pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2 ocredit=2 retry=3
37 password required pam_unix.so try_first_pass use_authtok nullok sha512 shadow
38 password optional pam_permit.so
39
40 session optional pam_ssh.so
41 session required pam_limits.so
42 session required pam_env.so
43 session required pam_unix.so
44 session optional pam_permit.so
45 -session optional pam_systemd.so
46
47 I don't understand the meaning of the '-' in the last line. I didn't
48 put it there, except possibly by accident when falling asleep at the
49 keyboard :)