From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: Powering off Windows XP, crashing NTFS with a Live CD.
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:18:15
1 On Monday 04 Jul 2011 17:15:55 Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Monday 04 Jul 2011 15:48:06 Joshua Murphy wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 12:12:03 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 > >> >> > > o - Do live CDs actually mount filesystems on HDDs?
7 > >> >> >
8 > >> >> > Only when you ask them to.
9 > >> >>
10 > >> >> I'm stupid. Of _course_ a live CD can't mount HDD filesystems at
11 > >> >> boot. To do this it would need /etc/fstab, for which it would need
12 > >> >> to be told the root partition. A live CD doesn't get this.
13 > >> >
14 > >> > A live CD can mount partitions automatically at boot, some do. all it
15 > >> > needs to do is scan the disk partition tables, create the mount points
16 > >> > and mount them.
17 > >> >
18 > >> > Knoppix has been doing the first two for years, and writing the
19 > >> > details to /etc/fstab to allow the user to mount them easily.
20 > >> >
21 > >> >
22 > >> > --
23 > >> > Neil Bothwick
24 > >> >
25 > >> > A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
26 > >>
27 > >> And to further complicate it, many also use a similar technique for
28 > >> finding themselves, mounting one filesystem after another until they
29 > >> find some distinct marker file to identify where to find the rest of
30 > >> their data. Others auto-mount and poke around for auto-loading of
31 > >> extensions unless such features are disabled by a boot-time option.
32 > >
33 > > I've only come across LiveCDs which scan the drive and create mount
34 > > points - but not mount any device unless explicitly asked to do so by
35 > > the user.
36 > >
37 > > However, I wouldn't be surprised if some more recent installation CDs go
38 > > further than that, as Joshua claims.
39 > >
40 > > Joshua, which LiveCDs behave in the way you describe by automounting
41 > > partitions and searching fs?
42 > >
43 > > --
44 > > Regards,
45 > > Mick
46 >
47 > I haven't seen any install cds that do that, but DSL and, if I recall,
48 > TinyCore/MicroCore look for extensions in a default path on the local
49 > filesystems.
50
51 I had to look again at DSL because last time I used it a couple of years ago
52 it definitely did not automount anything - unless ... you had set up a
53 persistent /home or settings directory. In that case it would mount the
54 device in which you saved your settings, but this would be something the user
55 would set up and run consciously at boot time.
58 > One thing I'm fairly sure on, though, is that without the
59 > "-f" flag, mount won't take the risk on an unclean NTFS, and instead
60 > just tosses an "are you sure?" message, which would make me presume
61 > even those livecds that do look for extensions wouldn't risk the
62 > damage there.
63
64 From what I recall the Linux kernel NTFS driver will mount a unclean NTFS
65 partition regardless (can't recall for sure though), but the ntfs-3g will
66 behave as you describe above.
67
68 So in answer to the OP questions, the only way I can think that a Linux LiveCD
69 would corrupt a NTFS partition is to mount it with the Linux Kernel driver as
70 rw and then create or edit a file.
71
72 If this was not the case and fs corruption ensued, then it would be just a
73 coincidence that the drive had some bad blocks and they decided to play up at
74 the time the MSWindows fs was being booted into.
75 --
76 Regards,
77 Mick